Saturday, February 23, 2008

To Seize or Not to Seize, that is the Question.

Trying to keep up in this house isn't an easy task!!! Drake is having major trouble keeping his weight up. It seemed to slowly drop, but funny how Daddy saw it first this time. He 's down to 21.3 lbs. as of yesterday. He's looking quite frail and the orthopedic doc is concerned about his muscle mass around the joints.
And to top it off Drake has started having trouble with fainting spells!
I need to go back to fill in(this is once again where I wish I had been blogging all along). About 4 weeks ago, I had Drake on his changing table. He was being a very happy, good little boy (you can tell I'm not partial). I was looking down in the drawer to get a diaper when I noticed his legs go limp and fall flat. I saw his body twitching all over and his eyes rolling up. I immediately called for Shane to bring me the telephone. It only lasted a few seconds, but then they started every 30 seconds or so 5 more times. As I 'm trying to keep calm and decide who to call. Of course it was at one of those times where every one's office is closed and gone home. I didn't think we needed to call the hospice on call nurse or the doctor's after hours, I didn't really want to sit at the ER for hours just to wind up back home tired and frustrated finding nothing.
I guess I wasn't too panic stricken due to seeing grand mal seizures on my fire department days and then witnessing several variances of seizure activity in some of Drake's class mates. So who do I call? My friend and Drake's teacher Lori. I know, I know, I shouldn't have probably made her my first, but I knew she would tell me to get to the ER if she thought I was wrong in my assumptions. She has a very calming way about her and with her 20 some years experience, I knew she was my BEST option. She told me what to keep an eye on; color, breathing, timing of them and timing apart.
I did place a call to the Neurologist the next day(Friday) then again on Monday, only to have the nurse call with little concern to tell me what Lori had already said. They scheduled an EEG the following week only to find nothing.
So no more activity the rest of that evening, next day as a matter of fact, it took 3 more weeks to see yet another episode. This time was a little different, same time as before(8:00pm), but he was in his chair, upright. I was playing with his feet getting his nightly toddy ready when out he went, like a light, it happens so fast, out of no where land. It's an eerie sight to see your child pass out. He came to in about 3-5 seconds then out again 20 or so seconds later. This time I wanted action, so once again, I set put to make phone calls to everyone I could the next day with once again little urgency. I know I'm new this type activity for Drake, but give me a little grace to help figure this out!It may seem I'm saying again an awful lot, but is what has happened again and again and again.There I said it, again!!!!
Finally, the Neurologist(whom I will write about another day) has set another EEG. This time a sleep deprived EEG to try and force this same activity.Whatever!! We'll see next week and pray for Drake's original Neurologist to be wrong about the likelihood of seizures to occur at some point.

No comments: