Wednesday, April 16, 2008

An Exceptional Family

After we accepted the space open for Drake at Gateway, my friend Leslie reminded me that there is a Greensboro Fireman who's child use to attend Gateway. I had forgotten he had a special needs child. David was even my training officer when I started and it seems God was going to have our paths cross again. Interesting enough, he wrote a book about his little one;Exceptional Spirit.( http://www.exceptionalspirit.com/) He sent me a copy of the book to read when I felt ready. Everyone told me not to, that it would be too difficult to hear, that the book would be depressing. (probably because everyone figured I cried enough as it was) Of course, I read it and enjoyed every inch of it! I was meant to read that book, funny how David just knew that was what I needed.If it had been any other book, I'm not sure I would have felt the connection. I picked up the phone, he knew I was going to call. I'm not sure if it was because of Leslie, or the fact he knew I needed someone who understood.

He came the next day, almost like a preacher would. He listened to me talk, he listened to me cry and he listened to my heart. He said to me" I know you are going to find this hard to believe or even understand, but I'm almost envious of you, jealous of the journey you are about to take. You have been given a gift and it's up to you to figure this out. I can now look back and wish I still had these days." WOW, how could someone feel this way about my life? This was quite a revelation to me. He had me question not only myself, but my faith and I thank him for putting these thoughts in my head that still ring true today. David, his wife Jeanna and Corbin were put here in my life to learn from. In a way it's still a part of Corbin living on. He is a very spiritual man with faith bigger than I can or could understand. He trusts in God completely and knew then as I'm sure he does now, that this was and is no mistake.

They gave me a special swing for our playground which Corbin used.I think of that him every time we go out to use it. Drake also by chance(ha,ha,ha) ended up being able to use a unique seat the Bullins donated to the school (one which gives support for those that can't sit on their own). They as a family made a special garden in memory to Corbin at the Gateway School(I see foreshadowing in this story). I wanted to say THANKS to this family for giving me some peace at this time in our journey!!!


There is a song that still to this day makes me choke up and think about this time in our lives. It's called - "Your Gonna Miss This", By Trace Adkins.The chorus goes like this;

Huh, it's hard to believe But you're gonna' miss this

You're gonna' want this back

You're gonna' wish these days

Hadn't gone by so fast

These are some good times

So take a good look around

You may not know it now

But you're gonna' miss this

You're gonna' miss this Yeaahhhh...

you're gonna' miss this...


No comments: