Monday, May 11, 2009

Thanks and Good Bye!!!



As much as I loved My Mother's day, it was sort of a sad day for me, Drake and our family. One our favorite nurses for D- had to go back home to Wilmington. Yes, it's true what they say, it's always the good ones that get away. I wouldn't wish her anything but the best though!!! (and I don't blame her for wanting to be back in such a beautiful town!)
There was a little something different about L-... she had a brother with special needs, He passed away 5 years ago. She not only understood Drake, but what my other son Grant had to endure everyday as a sibling of a special needs child. It was hard for me to believe in our interview when she talked about how much alike Drake and her brother were, from their disabilities, to their abilities. It showed in every way, in how she interacted with him though. She took to Drake as if it was her own brother and not just another patient who needed her assistance. She seemed to take it all so natural, which shouldn't have surprised me. I often wondered what she must be thinking since her brother was older and L- never had the opportunity to know him as a 3 year old child.
I even had the chance to meet her mom... it felt like I had known her my whole life. We were able to share a cup of coffee and our journeys of our boys. She has been through what I fear every morning when I walk in Drake's room. She also showed me that this time is a gift and to use it to it's fullest.
In some sort of way I feel our families will always be connected. L- even wrote a note, "...It is so crazy how much our families are alike. After my brother passed away, I felt like I lost a huge part of my life, but after working with Drake and your family I feel like I have gotten part of that back...." It's truly amazing the lives Drake has and will continue to touch.
Thanks Dan for sharing your sister and your family too!!!

No comments: