Tuesday, January 22, 2008

This is Where the Whirlwind Begins!!!

Let me begin by saying, God has brought people into our lives to help us through this.Family and friends included! It has been interesting to see how people react to such news about a child. A person's true colors really do shine through at times. For those of you that have truly been there you know who you are. And we thank-you for being here and holding us high to help Drake and our family deal with such obstacles.
There was an angel nurse with Guilford County Dept. of Public Health, Joy. She came to weigh Drake and check on me.(Guilford Co. does this with all new borns now) I think the hospital gave her a heads up about the crying spells. (Thank-you Guilford Co. for trying to keep an eye on the new postpartum mommies!) Not to mention I was listening to Drake cry more than myself.(colic?) Her job was to come 3 visits in a two week period and check on the baby.I'm still not sure weather it was me or the baby she really came to check on. Joy came to our home for over 9 months and helped us understand the importance of advocating for our child, (she also has a special needs grandchild) Little does she know the impact she made on our lives.
She was very concerned with the fact he cried all the time and wasn't gaining weight. She listened to everything I thought it could be. She had plenty of suggestions to help, some worked, some didn't. I was desperate to do anything to get Drake to sleep and stop crying!!!
With in two weeks Drake had an appointment with the Audiologist at Women's Hospital. This is where we found out that Drake was indeed Deaf. She tried to explain he had a Bone Conduction Hearing Loss. This is where his cochlea works, but somewhere between the outer ear and inner ear, there was trouble.Probably due to the lack of open ear canals, who knows?. She referred us to an ENT in Greensboro,Dr.Jacobs.
The following week, I had a follow-up with my OB, Dr. Lowe. (which by the way delivered both my children) This is where I started taking medication for the crying spells. He assured me I didn't have to feel this way all day long. He never belittled that I might be crying because of my circumstances with the baby. I'm so grateful for the recommendation of the medication! Even though I still cried, it seemed I could focus on the importance of taking care of Drake and Grant!!! I think what might have done it for me was when I was sitting on the side of the tub one afternoon, crying AGAIN, when Grant came in. He asked"Mommy, why do you cry all the time?" Too much for a 3 year old to have to understand! That's when I thought I'd better "Put on my Big Girl panties and deal with it!" So thanks again to Dr.Lowe for allowing me to do so.(take the meds that is, he,he!)
So in the mean while, I was once again blessed, to have a group of family & friends from MOPS (Mothers of Pre-Schoolers), which started bringing my family meals. For almost 6 weeks, my kitchen was wondering what happened! Who ever could imagine that something as simple as not having to cook could be such a BIG deal? I will admit I missed 95% of theMOPS meetings that year. ( more details later)

So on to the First in the series of Drakes Medical appointments:
Dr.Jacobs (ENT), proceeded to talk to me about the minor concern of Drake's Ears and the BIG concern of his feeding habits. She played the biggest part of his nourishment and feeding issues. This was a time I was truly happy I hadn't tried to breast feed, since I found out he didn't even know how to suck!! Dr. J suggested a particular bottle called a Haberman Feeder. Never heard of one? Well, they don't sell them at Walmart or Target! My mom (bless her) ,who was with me at the time, and I had to go to the hospital and get them. At $25 a pop!!! Yes, can you believe it?, And that wasn't a 3 pack either like the Gerbers or Dr.Browns.
The concept with the Haberman was made for children with cleft pallets.( but, Drake didn't have one of those?) All the child had to do was to bite down or press their lips together on the nipple and the milk would drip or Squirt if you will, in the mouth. It came in a 5 part nipple and yes, the parts were TINY and go down the drain EASILY!!! But all the same he immediately got the idea and began feeding. Nothing like starving your child for 3 weeks, only to figure out this concept.
She also said she needed to refer us to another doctor because she felt Drake had more issues than she could handle. She began talking about different "syndromes". At the time, I had only heard of Downs Syndrome and began to panic. I think that was a moment of whirlwind when I realized things are far more serious than I originally understood.
Now I need to remind you that through all this Drake was crying approximately 20 hours a day. Of course The feeding was the first consideration of the culprit, only to find it didn't stop with a full belly.

1 comment:

Lea Anne said...

Trish, you are an amazing mother! Grant and Drake are so lucky to have the parents that they. God picked you and Shane when he was assigning parents to Grant and Drake, knowing how much love and care you would give the two.