Friday, September 12, 2008

EMU



As I sit here in line to pick up my 6 year old for kindergarten, it occurs to me what an ideal time to catch up on Drake’s blog. Seems the summer took more of our time doing nothing than I realized. After several requests for an update, I’m back and ready to share more of Drake’s story.
I’ll try and give a quick catch up from where I left off. After more episodes, Dr. H set us up in the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit. It seems Drake doesn’t like his head scrubbed with sandy like abrasives to help the EEG leads connected to his head. It took approximately 45 minutes for the nurse to scrub and stick and 45 minutes of crying (Drake that is.), his head was bandaged up so the wires would hold for the duration. We were told that the stay could run about a week at the most and we’d have to wait and see if they could possibly catch one of his episodes. (The passing out, oxygen dropping, etc.)
I have to say the room is about half the size of an ordinary hospital room. The stay was uneventful until the 3rd night when Drake was so upset about bedtime. He was in the middle of a screaming fit, when out he went. Shane and I looked at each other and couldn’t quite tell if he finally went to sleep or he was having an episode. There is a button to push which is connected to his wires to try and give the doctors a pin point in time to go back and review. Guess what it showed? NOTHING! So after 4 days they let us go home with “possible breath holding spells”. I’m not even going to give all the reasons why that was not possible, but after seeing the ENT and another Neurologist, they agreed with me. (Oh yea and the stay cost a whopping $27,000 for 4 days, crazy!)
Oh yea, and it took them 3 days to get his meds brought in at the right dose and time. Thank-you God for leaving me half a brain from my teenage years so I can keep up with my children. I think he only allows us that much as adults or we would still know everything and never have children.

1 comment:

sassy seamstress said...

so i found you through MJ's blog and I didn't even realize that this "trish" was the same "Trish" i had met at the pool this summer. how neat. anyway, i don't any names on my blog, but i'm the woman you met whose child also went to drake's school a couple of years ago. if you don't remember me, it's ok. i just thought it was neat that i found you when i clicked from MJ's website. i'll be sure to check back often. take care and maybe i'll see you around. oh, and i met someone else the other day who knows you...lydia's mom. such a small world.