Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Time to Relax.

Then there was a friend, Wendy. Yet another person put in our lives to help Drake. She is a GSO firefighter, but more importantly, she is a message therapist. She hasn't worked often with children, but surprisingly enough she has done a few special needs kids. She never judged or felt insecure with Drake, she just had a way about her. She quickly figured out he liked to swing and that being held close was a comfort. With most people, he just cried no matter what we did. With Wendy, he found peace with her, he seemed to let go even if it was only for 15 minutes at a time. I tried not to watch everything she did, I felt he needed that break from me too. I would peek in from time to time just to watch her put her hand on his heart and listen. I almost felt guilty for watching such an intimate moment, but it was amazing to see him give in to her. We would joke later when I called it the "Jesus" position. He stayed so curled up and closed to the world. But, when Wendy started working both legs would stretch out, arms layed out flat, head turned to the side with eyes closed and he finally relaxed. It was a beautiful thing to watch, I even got a little jealous at times and asked how do you do that? She said I don't take it personally and I guess he could sense that! Since I knew I couldn't take the personal aspect out, I let her do her thing every other week and enjoyed the fact that Wendy was another blessing given to us through Drake.

No comments: