Sunday, July 5, 2009

Complex Balanced Translocation

Meet Drake
46,xy,t (4;14;4;1) (q28.2;q13.1;q28.2q21;p31.3)


This is a picture of the drawing that was given to us while I was 20 weeks pregnant. It's Drake Complex Balanced Transloction. You won't see it anywhere else... and if you do please call me, I was told he's the ONLY one in the world with this "rare" chromosomal abnormality!!! I'd hate to think I had been slighted for the winnings of this lottery!

Tomorrow I get to go talk to a group of P.A. students. I was given a list of questions from a good friend S-. She use to be D's CNA and now has moved on to better her career. I knew she wouldn't stay around long, but while she did Drake was in good care with someone who loved him and cared about more than just the "patient"! She was always asking questions about D- and wanting to know what the docs had to say. To learn more. To be better than she realized she was! I know she will do GREAT at whatever she chooses to do with her life!

If only she could learn to be on time... she'll make a perfect doctor!!!

The interesting thing was after thinking about the answers to her questions, I decided to make an outline. Little did I know how much Drake and our family have been through in such a short amount of time (almost 4years). Little did I know the memories it would bring back. Little did I know how far D- had come and remembering the days when I never thought we would make it this far! The outline is more about my pregnancy and the "early days". It certainly isn't ALL the details, but maybe it will help me keep my thoughts in order while I'm up there talking to this group of students (& trying not to cry). You never know... one of them might one day be Drake's doctor. Better yet, maybe something I say will be remembered and kind words spoken to help another family in the "early days".

The days are long but the years short. -unknown

No comments: