Tuesday, June 30, 2009

BAHA Hearing Aids





I forgot to mention back when D- was about 6 months old we were able to get him a hearing aid. The insurance company told us they don't cover hearing-aids... "It's considered a luxury"! Can you imagine? That was one of those moments when I couldn't quite understand if I was actually talking to a human being.


I was fortunate enough to be attending a program at Women's Hospital for pre-mature babies (even though he wasn't). Funny, I can't recall why D- qualified. Anyway there was a lady who worked there and happened to call me about something when we eventually came to the topic of insurance and that hearing is a luxury. Her son happened to be deaf and was told the same thing several years earlier. She said don't take no for an answer! That it's their job to say NO and it's my job to say NO back. (At least don't take NO right away.)


After SEVERAL phone calls, biting my tongue and enough tears to fill the tub, I won! Did I mention the aid was about $8000? They ended up covering 80%, it's was a battle won as far as I was concerned.


Drake @ 2months giving the BAHA a trial run!

Funny thing... D- HATED IT!!! Isn't that typical, to want something so bad only to find out it wasn't what you thought it was in the first place. Don't get me wrong, he still needed it and uses it, but it made him cry and to this day only tolerates it for a short time. That to will come in time and with therapy and good teachers and lots of patience, this too shall pass. But for a short moment I had victory!


Drake's hearing loss is called a "Bone Conduction Hearing Loss". His aid is a BAHA. As you might recall, he has no openings in his ears and we're waiting for him to turn 5 or 6 to get another MRI to see what has developed internally. Untill then he has to wear a handband with his aid attached. I don't blame him, I wouldn't want to wear that thing either (which is by the way VERY TIGHT)! He's such a trooper!!!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Wow. And I thought it was total crap that we have to pay taxes on tampons, yet if you buy donuts by the 1/2 dozen there is no tax. What a crazy world we live in!!

My niece has a boy with I don't know what (they can't seem to diagnose him) and she has really gone to bat for him too. Good for you moms who are fighting for your kids!!